Monday 21 April 2014

"God, wake up!"



He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. Psalm 18:16

I think of them as turn-around psalms - that's my personal way of looking at them. There are quite a few of them in the Book of Psalms as a whole, but perhaps 18 is the most dramatic. You only have to read the early verses to see the crisis the writer was going through.

Why "turn-around"? Because each of these psalms begins with a situation of desperate trouble, either for the person writing, or for Israel as a nation. But then comes the change of fortunes - God steps in, acts with power and decision, and everything is different. It's as if dark storm clouds have rolled away, and the sun shines again. That's what verse 16 is about.

A
question: Are you desperate for a turn-around in your life? Well, please don't give up hope; what God has done for others he can do for you, if you cling to him and cry out to him like the psalmist. I have seen this on many occasions over my  years as a minister. I have seen people at rock-bottom, where any kind of change seemed quite impossible. And then I have seen those same people, some time later, at peace and happy, rejoicing in God's goodness.

Three great Bible turn-arounds come to my mind.

First, the Israelites' crossing of the Red Sea (Exodus 14). The people have come out of captivity in Egypt. This was a momentous event, truly a miracle. But the Egyptians come thundering after them in their chariots. The people arrive at the sea. What are they to do? What possible way of escape is there: the uncrossable sea before them, their ferocious enemies behind them? Just when there seems to be no hope, God acts, and all is well. Some turn-around!

Second, the return of Israel from the captivity in Babylon. The people have been languishing there for two whole generations - "We wept when we remembered Zion (that's Jerusalem)," they say (Psalm 137). They are
now under the thumb of the Persians, the new super-power of the time. Just when they were despairing of ever seeing their homeland again something truly amazing happens: the King of Persia, Cyrus, issues a decree giving them his express permission to go home, even commanding them to rebuild their temple (see 2 Chronicles 36). Cyrus, bear in mind, is a pagan king. Again, some turn-around!

The third example is, of course, the greatest one of all, and the one we have been celebrating at Easter-time: the resurrection of Jesus. We can hardly begin to imagine what his disciples felt on that terrible Friday of crucifixion. And what about the Saturday? Have you ever stopped to think what a long, miserable, dreary, dismal, cheerless day that must have been? But then on Easter morning - well, I don't need to tell you what happened.

The message is clear: we never know when God is going to act, or how. We haven't the remotest idea of the resources he has up his sleeve. True, our turn-arounds don't usually take the dramatic form of the ones I have mentioned. Often they are gradual and seem, with hindsight, quite routine. But they do happen - and God doesn't change, so why shouldn't they happen again?

Psalm 78 is another turn-around psalm, and it climaxes with the remarkable words: "Then the Lord woke as from sleep, as a man wakes from the stupor of wine" (verse 65). I love that! - the psalmist actually dares to compare God to a drunkard emerging from a drinking bout. He's bolder than I would like to be! - but his boldness can encourage us to pray "Lord, please wake up!" 


So... don't lose heart that there will be a turn-around for you - the Lord will draw you too "out of the deep waters".

Dear Father in heaven, I'm pretty desperate. I badly need a turn-around in my situation. Sometimes I find it hard to trust you or to see your hand in my life. Please help me to hold on to you. Yes, please help me! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment