Saturday 3 June 2017

Are you feeling spiritually flat?

Meanwhile his disciples urged Jesus, “Rabbi, eat something.” But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.” Then his disciples said to each other, “Could someone have brought him food?” “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” John 4:31-34

Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:58

Somebody recently shared a problem with me. He is a Christian, enthusiastic about his faith, and a member of a lively church. But he feels that he has begun to lose interest. “To be honest, I’m finding everything a bit boring,” he says.

We haven’t yet had a chance to talk properly and pin-point the root of his problem, but I find myself wondering if there might be a clue in one of those puzzling sayings of Jesus…

Jesus is tired. He has been walking with his disciples, and they arrive near a Samaritan town called Sychar. The disciples go off to the town to get something to eat, and Jesus rests by the town well. A woman comes to get water from the well, and she and Jesus get into conversation.

The result is that the woman becomes convinced that Jesus is the Messiah, and as the disciples reappear with the shopping she runs off to the townspeople to share her excitement. The disciples urge Jesus to have something to eat – whereupon he informs them, rather mysteriously, that “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.”

This baffles them. Has somebody else brought him food? If so, who? But no: he goes on to explain, even more mysteriously, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me…”

What can that possibly mean?

It seems that Jesus is excited by his conversation with the woman. As she accepts the truth which he shares with her – “I, the person speaking to you – I am the Messiah” – he realises that a vital part of his ministry on earth is being accomplished. Yes! – non-Jewish people are beginning to turn to God! The good news of the gospel is beginning to reach out to all nations!

And who needs food at a time like that? This seemingly chance encounter has given him a new energy and drive.

I don’t think for one moment that Jesus meant to teach his disciples that food and drink aren’t important. Not at all: but there are times when the urgency of a particular task is so overwhelming that it eclipses everything else.

A recent example for us might be the bombing in Manchester, when many of the medical people, and others too, simply forgot normal life and worked round the clock to save lives. That situation couldn’t – and shouldn’t – last: “normal life” would soon need to be resumed: proper food, drink and, of course, sleep. There is no suggestion in the Gospels that Jesus was normally neglectful of his ordinary needs. But the meeting at the well was very special.

How might this saying of Jesus help my friend?

Well, it suggests a principle: it is often when we get involved in a work for God that we are given energy and strength by God. Even on a purely human level, working for a cause you believe in energises you. Putting it another way: could it be that my friend feels flat and unenthusiastic because he has dropped out of service for God?

We sometimes talk of something being “meat and drink” to a person. By this we mean that it’s something they thrive on, something that drives them on and “feeds” them. Of course they need ordinary, literal food and drink as well, but they have a motivation which empowers them.

William Wilberforce devoted much of his life to the freeing of slaves. I read recently that Wilberforce was an unimpressive person to look at – small, a bit weedy, clearly not in good health, easy to despise. But it seems that once he got on his feet to persuade others about the evils of the slave trade, he was a transformed man: truly a giant, if not in the physical sense. It was said of him that “the minnow became a whale.”

This principle applies to us as Christians. It’s when we throw ourselves heart and soul into the work of God’s kingdom that we discover within ourselves an energy and an enthusiasm that equip us for the work. (Isn’t it otherwise called the person of the Holy Spirit?) It’s when we allow ourselves to become half-hearted that we also become lethargic and dreary.

Whether this train of thought applies to my bored friend I don’t know. But perhaps it applies to you? Are you a bit glum spiritually? If so, is it time to get your sleeves rolled up and to get involved in a work for Jesus?

Lord Jesus, show me the area of service where you want me involved, help me to give it my very best, and so equip me with all the energy and enthusiasm I need. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment