Friday 20 December 2019

The peasant and the commissar

A few days ago I shared some thoughts in the aftermath of the British general election. Reflecting on the division and confusion our country had got into, I wondered if a lack of serious prayer had contributed to our sorry state. And I pointed out that praying for someone or something doesn’t necessarily mean you like them or agree with them. We pray because God tells us to do so (1Timothy 2:1-2). And that’s that.

In response my friend James, who is an expert in all things to do with Russia, sent me a story. I thought it was too good not to share, so here it is...

A Soviet Commissar came across a peasant kneeling in the fields one day.

“Get up,” he told the man.

“But, Commissar, I’m praying for the Party”.

The Commissar was unimpressed: “And I suppose that before the Revolution you prayed for the Tsar?”

“I did,” said the peasant.

“Well,” said the Commissar, “look what happened to him.”

The peasant smiled and said, “Exactly!”

Nice one! (Thanks, James.)

The message is clear: God is working his purposes out in our world, and in some way we don’t understand our prayers play a part in bringing those purposes to fulfilment.

So... just be obedient and get on with the call to pray - and let God do as he pleases with your prayers.

Nina and I are expecting that in the next few days unto us a child will be born, a grandson be given, and, given that our son may be away at sea, we may be called on to roll our sleeves up and brush off our (admittedly non-existent) midwifery skills. (Eeek!!!) So I don’t know when I will be blogging next. But until then I wish you a very happy Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment