Wednesday 9 December 2020

A waste of the vaccine?

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free… Luke 4:16-19

Did you watch those old people getting the coronavirus vaccine on television last night? The first to receive it was a woman of 90; and there was a man of 99. It was one of those lovely “Ah!” moments, wasn’t it?

My wife and I were certainly smiling. But as we turned to one another we both realised that there was a rather sheepish touch to our smiles. Each of us knew what the other was – rather guiltily - thinking (we have been married for forty years, after all). I might as well spell it out bluntly: “What a waste! For goodness’ sake, they’ll be dead soon. Those jabs could have been given to far more needy people”.

I stress that we did feel genuinely guilty, honestly! – we knew without any doubt that it was a wrong way to think. But…

There are countries in the world where elderly people like that would pretty much be left to fend for themselves, and if they don’t happen to make it, well, tough, but that’s life. They might be described as “past their sell-by date” or “on the scrap-heap”. I can only say how glad I am that I don’t live in such a country.

However far the United Kingdom may have drifted from its Christian moorings, in certain areas it is (if I may mix my metaphors) still drawing on spiritual capital from the past. And that spiritual capital includes the idea that every human being, old or young, rich or poor, clever or simple, is of infinite value in the eyes of God.

When Jesus began his earthly ministry in Nazareth he went one sabbath day to the synagogue, “as was his custom”. Invited to read the scriptures, and given the scroll of the prophet Isaiah, Luke tells us that “he found the place where it is written…”

That suggests that he wasn’t asked to read from Isaiah 61, but deliberately chose that particular passage. And what a passage it is! “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free…” (Luke 4:16-19).

All right, there’s no mention there of the elderly and frail. But there’s no doubt that the people listed are the ones who are, as we might say, “at the bottom of the pile”… the poor (completely dependent on “alms”, or charity); the prisoners; the blind (in times when, unlike today, loss of sight would leave people totally dependent on the kindness of others); the oppressed (a word that covers a multitude of conditions).

We have only to read our way through the Gospels to see how Jesus carried out this manifesto commitment, as we might call it. We see it perhaps particularly in his beautiful readiness to minister to people with leprosy, a disease which rendered people total outcasts from society.

In Luke’s next chapter we read these breath-takingly wonderful words: “While Jesus was in one of the towns, a man came along who was covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell with his face to the ground and begged him, ‘Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.’ Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. ‘I am willing!’ he said.’ Be clean!’ And immediately the leprosy left him” (Luke 5:12-14).

Two things particularly strike me.

First, the man is described as “covered with leprosy” (literally “full of leprosy”). There speaks Doctor Luke! – as if wanting to emphasise the utterly desperate situation of this poor man. “Oppressed”, if ever anyone was; on the scrap-heap, if ever anyone was.

And second, Jesus touched him. What? What! This man was “unclean”, and horribly, disgustingly so: the people watching probably shuddered with horror as Jesus “reached out his hand” (can you picture it?). But that is what he did.

This is the Jesus we worship and love, the Jesus whose legacy still lives on even in our national psyche. There are two things more this means for us.

First, God help me never to despise or dismiss those at the bottom of the pile, whoever they may be, but to see them with the eyes of Jesus.

And second, God help me to believe that however old and past my sell-by date I may become, you still love me – and you still have a role for me to play in your purpose and plan.

I’m so glad those old people were given the vaccine, aren’t you?

Jesus, how lovely you are,/ You are so gentle, so pure and kind./ You shine as the morning star./ Jesus, how lovely you are. Amen. (Dave Bolton)

No comments:

Post a Comment