Thursday 1 July 2021

Taking yourself in hand

Taking yourself in hand

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Corinthians 9: 24-27

I have to admit that running has never been my thing. Whacking a ball about a squash court or a shuttlecock around a badminton court – no problem (at least in younger days!). But running, no thanks: too much like hard work.

But that doesn’t mean I can’t admire the sheer elegant beauty of running, or appreciate the massive commitment and training required to be good at it. And it doesn’t surprise me that the New Testament uses it as a metaphor for the Christian life. Perhaps the best known example is Hebrews 12, where the writer encourages his readers to “run with perseverance the race marked out for us”.

And here too is Paul in 1 Corinthians 9. His focus isn’t so much on the race itself as on the dedication needed to succeed. And, boy, it’s some dedication! “I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave”, where “strike a blow to my body” could be translated “beat myself” or even “give myself a black eye”. Whatever, he’s talking about severe self-discipline. There’s certainly a bit of boxing thrown in there as well!

How literally does Paul mean this? Did he really beat and flog himself? We don’t know, but I’m pretty sure his regime would have at least involved fasting - he knew his body could get sluggish and out of condition, and he knew that that would make him spiritually lazy.

Obviously there’s a challenge there for every Christian, especially for those of us who live in the prosperous western world, where many of us take for granted plenty of food - far more than we really need - and expect comforts and relaxations of all sorts.

The challenge, in essence is: How serious am I about my faith? Do I really mean business with God? Or do I, in fact, in spite of all my fine words, just coast along? An athlete who goes easy on training for just a day or two will be in danger of getting out of condition: so, as Jesus said in another context, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”…

But, hang on a minute! - aren’t we supposed to enjoy our relationship with God? Didn’t Jesus say that he came to give us life, and “life to the very full” (John 10:10)? And isn’t Paul here making it sound rather like a clenched-teeth, strained-muscles, sweaty-browed ordeal?

It may seem like that. But don’t we find in life in general that if we love someone, nothing is too much trouble? Or if something is really important to us, we’ll put up with anything to succeed with it? And in the same way, if we see Jesus as truly our Saviour, Lord and Friend, as the one who has saved us from our sins and transformed our lives, is anything too hard for us? True love is the greatest thing in the world. But it is costly too.

This little passage in 1 Corinthians 9 ends on a slightly puzzling note. Paul tells us that his need to beat his body into submission – to “make it my slave” – is partly motivated by a fear lest “after I have preached to others, I myself may be disqualified for the prize”.

What does that mean! Was Paul seriously afraid that, in the end, he might lose his salvation? Surely not! If ever a man was convinced that his ultimate destiny was to be “with Christ”, it was Paul. After all, it was he who wrote those quite wonderful words in Philippians 1:21: “to me, to live is Christ, to die is gain”.

When he talks about a “prize” that he may be “disqualified” from, he can only mean that at the final judgment he may be made painfully aware of his relative failure to be everything God had called him and equipped him to be. (Isn’t this also what he was getting at in 1 Corinthians 3:10-15?) He may have been a great servant of God, but he wasn’t perfect.

However that may be, that slightly hesitant note in 9:27 reminds us of a truth we need to take seriously: there is a big difference between confidence (a good thing!) and complacency (not a good thing!).

Do you and I know that difference too?

This little passage is so packed with punchy stuff that perhaps I can finish no better than by repeating it, this time in the Message translation of the Bible…

You’ve all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You’re after one that’s gold eternally. I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No lazy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

Christian, take Paul’s advice: Run in such a way as to get the prize. Yes!

Dear Father, please help me to run the race of this wonderful Christian life with determination, discipline and full commitment, and in such a way that I may “get the prize”! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment