Friday 14 January 2022

Judgment and mercy for the godless person

Now Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field.” While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him. Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?” “I don’t know,” he replied. “Am I my brother’s keeper?” 

The Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground. Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand. When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth.”

Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear. Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

 But the Lord said to him, “Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him. So Cain went out from the Lord’s presence and lived in the land of Nod, east of Eden.

Genesis 4:8-16

A member of the British royal family was, yesterday, thrown out into the wilderness. Stripped of his royal and military titles, even disowned by various charities and other bodies for whom he had been a figure-head, he is now, officially, a nobody.

And, I imagine, a very lonely man. He has certainly done wrong, and you might very well say “Well, serve him right”. But I can’t help feeling a bit of pity for him. Privately, I assume, some friends and family will stay loyal to him, but “how are the mighty fallen”.

I found myself thinking of Cain, who murdered his brother Abel and was expelled to “the land of Nod” – “No-man’s land” you might call it – and condemned to a life of rootless wandering (Genesis 4). No excuses for him, of course: he seems to have done what he did with full “malice aforethought”, and we nowhere read that he turned to God in true repentance.

But given that we are all sinners with dark secrets, perhaps we can find a place in our hearts as we look at him – and also at our lonely ex-prince.

The story suggests that Cain was given both judgment and mercy.

First, judgment.

God says, “You will be a restless wanderer on the earth”. No fixed home; no supportive community; no smiling faces to lift his heart; no friends.

I met a man once who had been given a hut with basic facilities in a larger community of primitive dwellings. The people didn’t want him, but presumably felt they ought to do something for him, so there he was for a time at least, living his solitary life. I suspect he would often go whole days without speaking to a soul. A man sad beyond words.

It’s the mark of a person who refuses to turn their back on sin that they exist in a constant state of inner restlessness. Whatever dark secrets they have stir up feelings of guilt and shame, for the human conscience can be a hard taskmaster, quite likely disturbing our sleep and robbing us of any lasting peace.

Yet God wants the people he has made to know and enjoy peace. Even amid all the troubles of our world there is nothing to compare with the peace of sins confessed and forgiven, and to know that we are reconciled with God himself. Jesus said to his disciples, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you”. True, that heavenly peace will never be complete until we see Jesus face to face. But nonetheless it is for all, right here and now, who are humbly and truly sorry and seeking by God’s grace to be the person he wants us to be.

Do you yet know anything of that peace; or are you still wandering around in the spiritual Land of Nod?

Second, mercy.

Even though we never read of Cain repenting, we do read of God being kind to him.

Cain protests against God’s judgment: “My punishment is more than I can bear… I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me”. But God contradicts him: “Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over”. And then, intriguingly, “the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no-one who found him would kill him”.

What was this mysterious “mark of Cain”? Answer: we don’t know. How did other people recognise it for what it was? Answer: we don’t know. But those questions are beside the point. What matters is that God listened to Cain’s complaint and showed him mercy. Whatever the mark was, it was a safe conduct, not a stigma, as one commentator neatly puts it. It teaches us that God is always ready to reach out with mercy, even to those who are yet to repent of their sin. What does the apostle Peter tell us? – “God does not want anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9). And everyone means – well, everyone!

There are other signs of hope to come. As we read on through Genesis 4 we discover that Cain fathered a family (how did he find a wife!?) and built a city (verses 17-18). Perhaps not such a total wanderer as we have been led to expect! Whatever is hidden behind those bare facts, we can surely draw the conclusion that as long as a human being is still alive on the face of the earth the love of God is there for them if only they will grasp hold of it.

I do hope our wretched prince is aware of that fact – and that you and I are too!

“Our hearts are restless until they find their rest in you”. Father, we listen again to the promise of Jesus: “Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest”. Thank you, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment