Sunday 9 July 2023

An act of kindness

The fruit of the Spirit is… kindness. Galatians 5:22

I’ve been having a bit of trouble recently with my back (aagh!) and legs (oops!). Nothing too serious (I hope) – my GP has tapped my knees with his little hammer, so it must be all right, mustn’t it? But I’ve joked once or twice that I sometimes feel I’m “a tumble waiting to happen”.

I don’t tell you this as fishing for sympathy – not at all. Indeed, my somewhat creaky body has served me pretty well now for over 70 years, so I’ve plenty to be grateful for. But on holiday a week or so ago there were a few moments when my joke threatened to be not quite so funny.

My wife and I were on an excursion with quite a large group to a beauty spot which involved some not-so-easy walking. There were no handrails for a stretch (that would have made all the difference) and I came close to losing my footing, but fortunately I made it to a place where I could sit and collect myself, attended by a rather anxious wife.

As we were sitting there a woman came up and said “Can I be of any help?” I was at first a little taken aback; no doubt my pride was dented -  indeed (Lord, forgive me!) my initial thought was “Who’s this interfering busybody?” But it seems she had simply noticed me struggling and was concerned for me; she was just being kind. We went our separate ways and all was well.

She was being kind. That word fixed itself in my mind and wouldn’t go away. I was reminded that it doesn’t take a lot to be kind, and it can mean a lot to the person on the receiving end. It’s a good Bible word; it’s there in Paul’s beautiful list of the “fruit of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:22): “… love, joy, peace, patience, kindness…” Paul also uses it to describe the loving generosity of God himself; he speaks of “the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience” (Romans 2:4, not just once but twice).

When I asked the woman who came to our aid who she was – wondering if perhaps she was part of the tour staff – she said “No, just somebody who keeps their eyes open”. I thought that was quite revealing, for is it not a fact that often we fail to be kind not because we are uncaring, but because we are so wrapped up in our own affairs that we just don’t see the needs of others around us. After all, if some difficulty arises right in front of our noses – a child running off into the road perhaps, or a neighbour falling ill – most of us instinctively respond immediately. But unless a situation is actually thrust upon us in that way, don’t we tend to keep ourselves in the bubble of our own little lives?

It might not be a bad idea, when we get to the end of each day, to ask ourselves “How many opportunities have I missed today to show kindness?” No, we don’t want to be busybodies, and we certainly don’t ask for praise, but a greater sensitivity and awareness of what is going on around us, surely, can only be a good thing. Remember the Good Samaritan.

Here are a few sayings about kindness. Of course, they don’t say the last word on the subject, and taken alone may even be slightly misleading. But there are real truths in each one…

First, a dictionary definition…

Kindness is a type of behaviour marked by acts of generosity and consideration, rendering assistance or concern for others, without expecting praise or reward in return. I reckon that sums it up pretty well.

Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence and learning.

Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together.

Kindness spoken here. (Sign in a shop.)

Be kind: everyone you meet is fighting a battle. Yes, I like that!

And perhaps my favourite, from the poet William Wordsworth:

That best portion of a good man’s life - his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.

A footnote… I was reminded of another vital lesson through our little incident: that natural human tendency to think the worst of other people rather than the best.

Was that woman a busybody? Why did I even think that ugly thought? I dismissed it as unworthy the moment it came into in my mind; but I can’t dismiss as readily the sense of shame that I ever thought it at all. I suspect that I’m not alone in this?

Thank you, Father, for your great kindness shown to us sinners in Jesus. Give me, please, eyes to see the struggles of others and the compassion and the will to respond with kindness. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment