Thursday 29 January 2015

The sadness of wasted talents



May the God of peace... equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ... Hebrews 13:20-21

“Oh, I could never do that!" We very likely say that when someone suggests a new task or venture. "I haven't got what it takes!"

Well, if we're talking about learning to speak Mandarin, or swimming non-stop across the Atlantic, or training in retirement to be a part-time brain surgeon, we may have a point. But I wonder if sometimes we say it too quickly. I suspect that most of us probably could do a lot more with our lives than we allow ourselves to think. We limit ourselves unnecessarily.

The writer to the Hebrews offers a prayer that, in effect, God will enable his people to do things they never dreamed of doing. He prays that God will "equip you with everything good for doing his will..." Focus, please, on that word equip.

When I was quite a young Christian I learned a catchphrase which has stuck with me ever since: If God calls, he also equips. God isn't like the pharaoh in Exodus who told the people of Israel to get on with baking bricks even though they had no straw to do it with. That was both stupid and cruel. And God is neither stupid nor cruel. He will never ask us to do anything which is beyond our capabilities. But if he does ask us to do something, we can be sure he will supply everything we need for the task.

But what exactly does the writer have in mind? Probably two things.

First, the general business of living the tough and demanding Christian life. We certainly need God’s equipping for that.

But also, I think, he is referring to jobs, activities, indeed sometimes big steps of faith.

We shrink back: "Oh no! - ask someone else! that really isn't me!" And God smiles and replies, "But how do you know? You haven't tried it yet!" Moses said there was no way he could lead Israel out of slavery in Egypt. But guess what he then did...? Mary said there was no way she could possibly become the mother of God's Son. But guess what she then did...?

I have known people in church life absolutely adamant that some work or responsibility was way beyond them: teaching a class or leading a group, organising some event, using some hidden or forgotten gift or talent, developing powers of leadership, engaging in some area of community involvement... I could go on. And guess what they then did?

Sometimes, it's true, these people needed a bit of persuasion. But once they realised that this wasn't just their own or someone else's fantasy, they rolled their sleeves up and got on with it. And they never looked back: "I would never have dreamed it was possible! But look at me now!"
 
I have also, sadly, known Christians who have some real talent, but who have chosen to sit on it rather than use it for the enrichment of the church. I think of a young woman who had a glorious folk-style singing voice, plus the ability to back it with beautiful guitar playing. But could I persuade her to sing in church...? I have known people with gifts in teaching, pastoral care, administration or finance, but who kept them under wraps.

Is this a word to someone reading this? Would you take a few minutes to pray about it? Would you be prepared to open your mind (yes, I know, a frightening prospect!) to new possibilities?

The key thing, as so often, is balance. On the one hand we mustn't get arrogant - "Bring it on - no problem, I can do that!" On the other hand we mustn't be over-humble - "beating ourselves up", as the saying goes. God may have other ideas.

There was once an old song which had these words: "There's a work for Jesus none but you can do". That's stuck with me too. Would you like to ponder it also?

Lord, please forgive me for any wasted, unused talent that lies sleeping within me. Help me to seek your perfect will for my life, and when I have found it, to take a deep breath and step out into the unknown -  always confident that you are a God who equips if first you call. Amen.

What talent or ability are you sitting on today?

No comments:

Post a Comment