Wednesday 8 July 2020

Looking facts in the face

For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 2 Timothy 4:6-8
I like plain words. Indeed, I have to admit that it vaguely irritates me when people use complicated or fancy words when a perfectly straightforward one will do.
The way we talk about death is an example. In recent years, it seems, people no longer “die”; they “pass away” or, even worse, “pass”. All right, I suppose that to say someone has “died” can seem a little harsh; but if it’s the fact, why not say so?
That’s me, anyway.
But even if I’m contradicting myself, I can’t help making an exception for the apostle Paul! Writing to his younger protégé Timothy, he says, “I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near”. He could have said simply “I’m soon going to die”; but I’m pleased he chose to embellish it a bit, because his more elaborate wording is in fact full of good things.
Indeed, the whole of this little passage in 2 Timothy 4:6-8 is well worth digesting. I think it can only do us good if, as Christians, we keep it well in mind as we ourselves confront the reality that one day we must die.
Three things that stand out for me.
First, Paul is totally realistic.
There was a time when the great unmentionable subject was sex. Well, that’s certainly changed, hasn’t it! Now, if anything, it’s death: we talk in hushed whispers, if we talk at all. As somebody put it to me not long ago when it cropped up in our conversation, “Oh, I just don’t think about that kind of thing”. Denial: I think that’s the word, and it’s not healthy. And it certainly isn’t the Christian way.
In talking frankly and openly about his approaching death, the illustrations Paul uses aren’t ones that would spring naturally to my mind. But then I’m not a first-century Jew familiar with the practices of the people of Israel.
First, he compares himself to “a drink offering” being “poured out”, presumably on the altar of the temple in Jerusalem. In other words, he sees his whole life as an act of worship, an offering dedicated to the service of God: and he realises that the offering is now almost complete.
And then he talks about his “departure”. The word literally means “an unloosing”, as if he sees himself being finally set free from the shackles of this life.
I think it can only help us, to view death in these ways: first, a final, complete sacrifice; and second, a beautiful liberation. And to notice, of course, that there’s nothing remotely gloomy or pessimistic there!
The second thing that strikes me about these verses is that Paul seems quietly confident. I don’t detect any note of pride or self-satisfaction – Paul, as we know from his letters, was only too aware of his own weaknesses and failings – but he states as a simple fact, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith”.
Now, if Paul comparing himself to a “drink offering” seems to us a little strange, that certainly can’t be said of these three images! No, what could be more straightforward? If the Christian life is a battle (he says) – well, I’ve fought it! If it’s a race – well, I’ve run it! If it’s something to hold on to – well, I’ve hung on to it!
All dates are approximate, but it seems likely that Paul (“Saul of Tarsus” as he was originally known) was born between 5 and 10 AD; that he was converted, on the road to Damascus, around 35; and that he died around 65. That means he had 30 or so years of Christian life and service – and you only need to read the book of Acts to see what extraordinary, exhausting, action-packed years they were. No wonder that now, writing to Timothy, he is well ready to go.
Well, I’ve had a bit longer than Paul; you may have had somewhat less. But the length of time isn’t what matters (Stephen, who we meet in Acts 6-7, didn’t have long, did he?).
What matters is that Paul offers us something we can aim for: to get to the end of our days and be able to echo his words. Do I have the courage of a fighter? the discipline of a runner? the tenacity of a keeper-goer? When I get to the end, will I hear the voice of Jesus: “Well done, good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21)?
I said I wanted to highlight three things from these verses that stand out for me. But I’ve run out of space, so I’ll have to keep number three up my sleeve until next time…
But I think there’s enough already to prompt such a prayer as this…
Father God, thank you that through Jesus death is a defeated enemy. As I confront the fact of my own mortality, grant me strong faith, true peace, and a determination to serve you whole-heartedly until that day when I will see Jesus face to face. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment