Thursday 25 March 2021

The glory of the blind eye

A person’s wisdom yields patience; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offence. Proverbs 19:11

Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Take care of my sheep”. John 21:16

Last time I wrote about what I called “the sin of the blind eye”, based on Proverbs 24:11-12. This is the danger that we look away – hypocritically pretending “But we knew nothing about this” - rather than honestly face up to a need that presents itself to us; perhaps we are cowardly or lazy or just plain uncaring.

But today we need to put a completely different angle on this, and point out that there are also times when turning a blind eye is no sin at all but in fact the best thing we can do; for Proverbs also tells us that “it is to one’s glory to overlook an offence” (19:11).

“Glory”!… That’s a big Bible word, often used to describe the power and majesty of God himself, so it struck me as interesting that it should occur here. It seems that to “overlook an offence” (which is pretty much the same thing as turning a blind eye), can be not just a kind or generous thing to do, but a glorious thing, even a God-like thing.

Which raises the challenging question: How good am I at it?

I look back over my life and can only be thankful for those lovely people who could very justifiably have taken offence at something I had said or done, but… simply chose not to. In a very tiny way, had they not chosen to act like God himself?

Where this verse really hits home is if we turn it round: if it’s a glorious thing to overlook an offence, by the same token it’s a shameful thing to do the opposite, to “harbour a grudge”, as we sometimes put it.

I think of a friend who felt, perhaps with some justification, that he had been badly let down by someone. The issue wasn’t just a trivial thing, but something that had significantly affected his whole life. How understandable if he were to harbour a grudge!

But how destructive too. For to harbour a grudge is to brew an inner poison, to allow your whole personality to be twisted and eaten up by bitterness.

I knew a woman too who used to talk quite matter-of-factly about how she “hated her ex”. Judging by the things she used to say about him, you felt you couldn’t really blame her; but years of carrying this grudge had taken a very heavy toll on her.

Then one day she came to a decision… she decided to let it go. The decision wasn’t particularly emotional; it was simply an act of will, quite clinical in a way. She decided she would no longer allow this weight to crush her. And what a beautiful change it brought about in her!

I have to be careful telling stories like those, for personally I have never found myself in those kinds of situation. I have been extremely fortunate - or perhaps I should say blessed. So I’m in danger of making it all sound rather easy, which I’m sure it isn’t.

But there’s no getting away from it: our God is a God of mercy, kindness, grace and forgiveness - glorious qualities which are expressed above all in the sacrifice and death of Jesus. And we are called to be like him: nothing more, nothing less.

A concrete example of “overlooking an offence” comes to mind: what a hard time the risen Jesus could have given to Simon Peter after his denial (Mark 14:66-71)!...

“Sorry, Peter, but you’ve let me down badly! You swore that you would rather die with me than deny me – and then you caved in at the challenge of that servant-girl. And you did it three times! How can I ever be sure again that I can trust you…?”

But we know what in fact Jesus did (John 21:15-23). Back there in Galilee, after a memorable breakfast by the lake of freshly caught fish, he drew Peter aside from the other disciples. Not to give him a ticking off or to make him feel bad, but to match his three denials with three invitations to “take care of my sheep” or to “feed my sheep”. To give him a vital job. To show him he loved him and was prepared to trust him.

That’s a big, big example. But ordinary, everyday life throws up all sorts of lesser examples, and they pose the same challenge as Proverbs 19:11: Will I be petty or magnanimous? Will I be mean-minded or generous-spirited? Will I turn a blind eye to an offence? Or will I fix my eye on it and let it distort my whole vision?

The choice is mine; and yours.

Loving Father, thank you that in Jesus you have chosen to overlook my many offences. Help me to respond with patience, understanding, love and prayer when other people offend against me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment